By Mike Olsen CEO
As online education grows and hybrid and virtual education increasingly becomes the norm, remote proctoring solutions like Proctorio have provided educators with a platform that helps students complete assignments and exams in a secure, flexible, and high-integrity environment.
Proctorio believes that the technology should be leveraged in a way that benefits learners, instructors, and university administrators alike. First and foremost, Proctorio’s learning integrity platform was designed to equip learners with the opportunity to further their education on their own time from their own homes. Second, Proctorio is providing instructors with a way to deploy customizable proctored exams in a way that respects their time, the needs of their students, and the integrity of their classrooms. Finally, Proctorio works diligently alongside university administrators to protect the value of their degrees and certifications by ensuring secure virtual and hybrid teaching environments.
Proctorio will not tolerate uses of our platform or technology that violate these principles, whether violated specifically or even in spirit. These uses include but are not limited to:
- “Pay to Play” Models. Proctorio stands firmly against models where instructors or institutions force students to pay for an upgrade to use the Proctorio platform in a retaliatory manner.
- Results-Driven Models. Institutions should be flexible for students who request or require alternate arrangements or modes of assessment, in a way that is in line with their institution policy.
- Policing Religious/Cultural Beliefs. Proctorio will not stand for the usage of our software in any manner that forces test takers to remove or alter clothing and/or coverings and/or appearance that adhere to their religious or cultural belief systems.
- Personal Instructor Use of Student Data. Proctorio firmly stands against any personal, and therefore inappropriate, use of student exam data, including exam attempt recordings. We only allow approved administrator/instructor access to exam-related data via the Proctorio Gradebook within the institution’s assessment platform. Proctorio will never allow an exam attempt to be downloaded or played outside of the secure review environment provided by the Proctorio Gradebook. We employ diligent monitoring protocols that prevent inappropriate use of exam data.
- Dangerous Institution-Based Middleware. Proctorio closely monitors and detects the presence of any middleware that attempts to decrypt traffic to spy on university web traffic. This poses a direct threat to exam-related data that can prevent Proctorio from ensuring the top-tier data security protection that we promise our partner institutions.
We reserve the right to review usage rights for any instructor or institution, whether for the above reasons or for any potentially dangerous or inappropriate uses not listed above.
Proctorio is dedicated to the educational advancement of students. We are committed and will continue to commit ourselves to the protection of our users’ privacy and data security.
The increase of technology use in education is reliant on integrity and trust and Proctorio is dedicated to doing what is necessary to help students achieve high-quality learning outcomes.
Updated for clarity on September 16, 2020